- Is Oxiclean Safe For Septic Systems? – Let’s Find Out! - November 3, 2022
- Can You Use Oxiclean On Baby Clothes? – The Answer Might Surprise You! - November 3, 2022
- Can You Put Oxiclean In Toilet Bowl? – All You Should Know! - November 3, 2022
Owning a boat isn’t any mean feat and as a boat owner, you may even be wondering what the best way to clean boat carpet is. Then sit still.
You’d want to ensure that your boat is kept in tip-top condition at all times. Seeing as it is indeed a valuable piece of investment for whatever reason it was acquired.
This is why keeping the boat's carpet clean will contribute to the long-term overall condition of the boat.
This article explains just how to clean carpet on a boat effectively and efficiently.
There are several ways to ensure that your boat carpet remains super clean. Some of the methods include vacuuming, pressure washing, etc.
Common Boat Carpet Issues
Boat owners can attest to the fact that bareboat floors or those with wooden flooring are indeed boring. They also pose a risk to all on board because they can get slippery.
This could make the entire boating experience accident-prone due to less traction.
A boat carpet installed adds beauty whilst solving that problem as well.
However, boat carpets are indeed useful. They come with their fair share of troubles.
Carpet being soiled by water, wet feet, muddy pet paws, saltwater, etc. can cause it to lose its overall good shape.
Mold And Mildew
Mold and mildew will destroy the durability of your carpet in the long term. The stains caused by moisture create a thriving environment for mold-causing bacteria to grow.
However, exposure to too much sunlight will cause the boat carpet to lose shape as well.
Well, read on to find out what to clean boat carpet with, and in the very best slow but sure ways.
Tip: It is important to store the boat’s carpet properly during winter as well as summer periods.
Best Way To Clean Boat Carpet
To avoid some of the issues that come with using a boat carpet, these are some of the recommended ways you can clean it.
These ways will ensure that your boat carpet particularly stays clean and keeps your boat generally in tip-top condition.
Get A Broom As Well As A Dustpan
Yes, you read that right and it isn’t as old-fashioned as you think. If it works then it goes.
A good broom is a handy tool to tackle debris, the very first defensive tactic against dirty carpets.
If the kind of dirt you are to clean isn’t a spillage, then sweep it off as first as it happens before it too becomes a stain.
Keep a broom that does not bruise the carpet.
Aerate The Carpet
Molds and mildew thrive well where there is much moisture, cold, and very little air space and circulation.
The two can become a menace in a short while before you even noticed it.
And when mildew and mold happen, they come in with lots of negative effects, the environment is less friendly and if you are using your boat for commercial purposes, then customers will evade the slightest view of yours for another.
But fortunately, regardless of the fact that boats operate in water, you still have the capacity to take care of them.
Below are the tips that work well with aeration and sun drying as a way of cleaning your boat’s carpet.
- Remove all molds that are visible from the carpet when you see them
- The carpet should be exposed to the rays of the sun. Ultraviolet rays from the sun kill molds and mildew (I’m beginning to think it may just be carpet vampires).
- Or leave your boat out in the sun to dry while not in use
- Get it a shelter whenever there is rain and use portable air conditioners for your boat once in a while.
Tip: When carpet can not be moved outside to the sun then use a powerful UV light to this effect
Vacuuming will help you suck up small pieces of the debris your broom and dustpan may have missed (if you used one).
Vacuuming happens to be one of the most critical and strong ways to get the dirt off your boat, it leaves it sparkling like dew on the morning grass.
Get a vacuum cleaner or conduct vacuum cleaning agencies to come in and resolve the mess.
If you have one at hand, these are the quickest steps to follow to get rid of all dust and debris.
- Get the boat prepared before cleaning, and sweeping all dust and debris works.
- Pick a setting that cleans well the type of carpet in your boat
- Vacuum away from your direction in lines
- And vacuum your boat at least once every week.
Stain Removers for Boat Carpet
Besides dampness, debris, mold & mildew, the activities in and around the boat can bring stains to the carpet.
Getting a good quality stain remover for your boat carpet will improve your cleaning process, making it a lot easier.
The method of usage is simple and almost the same across all types of carpet cleaners.
Here’s how to use it:
- Simply spray or apply the solution to the areas affected
- Use a damp cloth or a brush to gently rub or scrub on the affected area
- Clean with a separate cloth as you clean
- This process should be repeated until the spot is clean
And for some of the best stain removers that will work magic while cleaning your boat are as follows;
- Ultimate star Brite carpet cleaner
- Aero Cosmetics cleaner
- Oxiclean carpet cleaner
Deep Cleaning With A Pressure Washer/Cleaner
A pressure washer will make a good investment for your boat carpet. Pressure washing carries out deep cleaning of the boat carpet.
And it rid it of all forms of debris, mold, and mildew. Get one from
Tip: Pressure washers can also be rented
Homemade Carpet Cleaners
Homemade cleaners, if made well, are just as effective as commercial ones.
And they are inexpensive since they are made using simple and easily accessible household ingredients.
There are a number of good homemade cleaners, including vinegar, salt, baking soda, etc.
Vinegar makes an effective and efficient stain removal of all kinds of stains. Vinegar can handle general stains through these steps;
- Two tablespoons full of salt should be added to vinegar (just half a cup) and stirred.
- The solution can then be applied to the area on the carpet that is affected.
- Allow drying completely then vacuum.
Then to clean tougher and darker stains, these procedures should be followed:
- 2 tablespoons full of salt, and another of borax mixed in a cup of vinegar.
- This solution should then be applied to the stained areas on the carpet.
- Leave it out to dry and vacuum it later on.
Salt makes an effective carpet cleaner and should come in handy. Depending on the kind of stain, it can simply be sprinkled on the area affected.
Thereafter either rub the area with alcohol when dealing with greasy stains or diluted white wine for red wine stains.
Baking soda is also a very effective substance for boat carpet cleaning.
- Make sure to wipe as much of the stain as you can with a damp cloth
- Gently apply baking soda to the spot with the stain
- Use a piece of cloth or brush to gently work the soda over the spot
- Allow to dry and vacuum
Remember that the most simple way of keeping dirt and debris at bay is simply by cleaning regularly.
Your boat is a great investment and you must treat it with a lot of care, it begins with keeping the carpets too clean.
Now that this article just shared with you the best way to clean boat carpet then, I believe you can effectively keep your boat in good shape.
The services of professional cleaners should also be considered.