How to clean couch cushions foam? The couch is one of the most valuable things you’ll have at home. When friends and family come to visit you at home, you let them sit on the couch to hang out.
This is a comfortable place to do anything like sharing stories, watching tv, or even playing games.
Even your pets probably love the couch. Hence, you should be careful in staining or spilling something on your couch.
It’s the right thing to do because couch cushions foam is difficult to clean. You might be in big trouble when this happens.
Why Use Foam?
Foam is often used in making cushions because of its softness and durability. Cleaning cushion foams are difficult depending on their size and shape.
Worry not, it is easy to clean using products accessible at home like soap, water, vinegar, and upholstery cleaning solutions.
It is important to maintain the cleanliness of your couch because they provide you comfort at home.
Ensuring that your cushion foams are completely clean and dry is important. There might be molds or insects that may live on them when not cleaned properly.
Further, they might stink or become a health hazard to your family.
It’s better safe than sorry as you are probably spending much of your time on the couch.
So here are detailed steps on how to clean couch cushions foam properly.
How to Clean Couch Cushions Foam?
The first thing that you need to do is to check the manufacturer’s instructions. This can be commonly found attached to one of the sides of the cushion.
Some of them may need extra care and may not be suitable for other cleaning products. It’s necessary especially if you don’t want to damage your cushions.
The cushion cover is usually cleaned through regular laundry. To avoid any damage or discoloration, you may want to use a cold wash, low heat setting in cleaning them.
On occasions that cushion covers are attached to the foam, hand washing is your best option. You will need a clean sponge and soap.
Preferably, a liquid dishwashing soap because others can contain string chemicals causing damage.
General Cleaning of Couch Cushions Foam
Here’s a general step-by-step hand washing you can follow:
- Use the clean sponge to scrub the stain
- Dampen the sponge with the soap
- Squeeze the excess water before scrubbing it on the cushion
- Scrub lightly in a circular motion the stain on your cushion
- Avoid scrubbing it deeply as the foam may absorb it
- Air-dry the cushion foam
To be guided accordingly, you may find different instructions on the tag of a couch cushion foams.
Here are the three signs you may find:
- W – only water-based cleaners shall be used in cleaning the cushion
- S – only water-free cleaners shall be used in cleansing the cushion
- X – only a vacuum shall be used in cleaning the cushion
However, there’s another question that may arise. Aside from washing it lightly, can you wash couch cushions?
Can You Wash Couch Cushions?
Spilling a drink on the couch is one of the common accidents that you may encounter. When this happens, you should evaluate right away how deep the liquid penetrated the cushion foam.
Once you examine it, you should clean the cushion foam accordingly whether the spill is light or deep.
For Light Spills
- Use a damp cloth and wash the foam with this to absorb the liquid. Note that the spill should be close to the surface.
- Use a vacuum to absorb all the liquid that penetrated. It ensured no moisture left inside.
For Deep Spills
This is a challenging task to do because you’ll need to deep clean them as well.
- Use a paper towel to pat the stain of the spill for absorption.
- Avoid rubbing the stain with the paper towel. It risks getting the liquid and making the damage worse.
- Repeat patting the stain with paper towels until it dampens.
- Air-dry it or put it under the sun to avoid moisture.
Another Way to Deal with Deep Spills
- Place it in a bathtub or basin
- Hand wash it using a detergent or vinegar
- Rinse it thoroughly
- Dry it using air or putting it under the sun
- Wait for 2-3 days to completely dry out
If you decide to wash them, make sure that you dry them out inside. Otherwise, molds and bacteria may start to build up. You don’t want that in your safe place, right?
To simply answer, can you wash couch cushions? Yes, but with extra care.
In the event that the spill is the worst, you have no choice but to upholster them or replace them.
Is urine one of the worst things your couch may absorb?
How to Clean Urine from Couch Foam?
This is a common scenario especially if you have pets at your home. They may be mostly potty-trained, but accidents do happen all the time.
Sometimes they can go pee on the couch and there’s just nothing you can do. Seeing their cute faces will make you forget their mistakes; however, you’ll still need to clean the couch.
Otherwise, your whole living room will stink because it can go through the foam.
Why Does Urine Is Hard to Clean?
Urine contains uric acid which makes it difficult to clean. This may leave discoloration aside from its smelly odor and damage.
The strong odor may circulate in your living room and you don’t want that.
So, you may use whatever’s accessible at home such as salt, vinegar, dishwashing liquid, hydrogen peroxide, or baking soda.
Clean Fresh Pee Stain
To clean fresh pee stain from your couch cushions foam, follow theses steps:
- Use a paper towel to pat the stain of the spill for absorption
- Sprinkle salt on the stain
- Leave the salt for a few hours to absorb the urine
- Vacuum the cushion foam
- Repeat until you’re satisfied
Clean Dried Pee Stain
Using Vinegar and dishwashing liquid
- Mix the vinegar and water in an equal proportion
- Add 1-2 drops of dishwashing liquid
- Spray or damp the urine stain with the solution
- Wait to dry it on its own
- Repeat if necessary
Using Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda
- Mix 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and a pinch of laundry detergent.
- Spray or damp the urine stain with the solution.
- Wait for at least 30 min to remove the strong urine odor.
- Wash it with water
Note: If there is urine stain on your mattress, check out our guide on how to remove urine from mattress.
Your couch may be prone to dust, dirt, debris, and urine because it’s one of the places you often go to at home.
We hope after reading this guide, you know how to clean couch cushions foam even with pee stains!
Taking extra care of it will save you a lot of time and money. The best thing to do is to avoid bringing food while sitting on it. As they say, prevention is better than cure.