Looking for guide on how to clean shower drain of hair? Or unable to find any solution?
Isn’t it frustrating when you just finished your relaxing morning shower and find yourself ankle-deep in a puddle of soapy, murky lukewarm water?
Don’t worry, everybody’s been there, and we certainly know how you feel.
Bathwater that drains relatively slowly is called ‘standing water,’ which signifies that something is clogging your shower drain.
A blocked shower drain may be caused by something from a slight blockage of hair to a large obstruction in your main sewage pipe.
In this article, we will show you some methods that you can try to clean your shower drain of hair or any blockage in a quick and hassle-free way, so read on below!
Determine If Your Shower Drain Is Clogged
Before anything else, it is essential to quickly determine if your shower drain is clogged.
This will help you know how to dissolve hair in shower drain and avoid future pipe and drainage damages that can cost you a fortune.
Take note of these signs:
- If the bathroom shower drains slowly, and you regularly find that even after you switch off the tap, water still stays on the floor for several minutes.
- An unpleasant odor that rises from your drain can be produced by the residue that obstructs the pipes’ innermost layer.
- Suppose your fixtures and pipelines sound different than usual. Early indicators include gurgling sounds from drains, toilet flushes, plug holes, and tubes.
Remember, a severe and untreated drain blockage can lead to flooding of the bathroom or leaks that grow as standing water can make its way through bath joints.
Spaces in the bathroom can also make water possible to crawl into the walls, causing extensive damage.
So, once you have confirmed that you are really having a clogging problem, go forth and do your best to fix it!
How to Clean Shower Drain of Hair in Easy Methods
The first thing you need to do before we start is to get through to the drainage.
To do so, carefully remove the drainage stopper or screen.
Typically, all that is required to detach the stopper, screen, or seal is a screwdriver.
Power on your overhead light or check the drain using a flashlight.
When you have detected the culprit, choose, and follow one of these five tricks and methods to unblock the shower drain yourself.
1. Utilize a Wire Hanger or Plumber’s Snake
The most straightforward approach is perhaps one of the most efficient. Simply grab and pull the hair clog out!
You might be able to obtain it with a simple plumber’s snake or drainage stick if the clog is not that far down the pipe.
This long, versatile pole with a little claw at the end is a useful tool for a person to have for any household matters.
Place the tool into the drain, hold it, and drag it out before you hit the barrier.
If you do not have either of these resources available, you can also perform the same task utilizing a modified wire hanger.
The standard wire hanger and a small hook can fulfill the same role as the snake.
2. How to Dissolve Hair in Shower Drain with Baking Soda
Try a natural option before grabbing those harmful chemicals. Substances such as Liquid Plumr and Drano are toxic and can gradually eat away your pipes.
On the other hand, baking soda and vinegar have several advantages.
Not only can it help eliminate the hair in your drain, but it also has fungi-fighting disinfectant abilities that fight off bacteria and odor.
Now, let’s begin!
[wps_alert type=”primary”]The Steps are as Follows: [/wps_alert]
Step 1. First of all, Pour a cup of the baking soda into the blocked drain
Step 2. Immediately add-in one cup of vinegar too
Step 3. The baking soda and vinegar combination will begin to fizz. Allow the magic to work.
Step 4. Five minutes after the fizzing ends, pour down two quarts of hot water down the drain.
Step 5. Once you have emptied the drain, Switch on the faucet, and observe if it is draining correctly.
Repeat steps 1-5 again if the drainage is still blocked up.
Dump a mix of half cup salt and one cup baking soda down the drain for those stubborn clogs, and let it stay overnight. Flush it out with hot water the next day.
Now that you know how to dissolve hair in shower drain With Baking Soda let’s proceed with the next method!
3. Use a Dry or Wet Shop Vacuum
A dry/wet shop vacuum can also be utilized (not your typical vacuum). Program it for fluid vacuuming.
- Ensure you correctly set up the vacuum as instructed by the manufacturer.
- Place the hose down the drain, creating a seal as close as possible. Air pressure is created to break up the clog, so you will probably hear a high-pitched noise from the vacuum.
- There could be an air force blowback that can escalate to a mess, so be ready with rugs to clean up any junk.
- If the drain flow does not improve, you must move the air hose to the sucking stage. Repeat the steps
4. The Boiling Water Method
One of the frequent reasons hair gets trapped in your pipe is because of grease and soap build-up coating the insides of your drainage.
A hair clog can also be eliminated by removing the clumpy build-up, and using the boiling water method is a quick way.
Merely boil water in a kettle or pot and slowly pour it into the drain.
The soap and grease will be broken down by the boiling hot water, removing the hair and enabling it to flow down the drain.
Just ensure you aim it down the drain using a funnel, so you wouldn’t spill it and hurt yourself.
Preventing Future Blockage and Clogs
Now that you know how to unclog your drainage, it’s important to practice preventive measures to lessen the problem’s frequency.
By simply becoming more mindful of the volume of hair you lose is the number one way to prevent a massive blockage of hair in your bathroom drain.
Here are few and quick ways to keep the drain clean of your hair:
- Purchase a hair catcher since this can block your hair from sipping into the pipe
- If you have a drain screen, keep it clean and clear
- Brush your hair before you take a shower to help remove excess and dead hair
- When you shave, run the tap water to flush the hair as you go
- Pour in boiling water every once in a while, to eliminate any build-up and residue
Learning how to clean shower drain of hair and preventing future clogs is a lesson and skill that is genuinely vital to any household owner.
We all know how important and helpful it is to shower not only for the body but also for our minds.
The bathroom is oftentimes considered a haven, which gives us relaxation and comfort, so you must take good care of it.
By investing time to clean and unclog the pipes now and then is certainly a great way to maintain an excellent and hygienic bathroom!
Further Read: Learn how to Disinfect your Coach!